Fifth Reformed Church has been a part of the Grand Rapids community since 1886. Our current facility was built in1957 in an open field. Over the years, an entire neighborhood sprang up all around us. Through the years, we have been a community with a mission to serve and love our neighbors, both locally and globally. While we are a diverse congregation, we are bound together in love as one people.
It took four days for the founders of Fifth Church to construct the original building, a 1,920-square-foot wooden structure where a group of 69 people worshipped with Psalm 126 in their hearts back in 1886. The first pastor, the Rev. R. H. Joldersma, was hired that spring at a salary of $800. Under his guidance, the church built a permanent home, and grew to 236 families by the end of his three-year tenure in 1889. "The Church on the Hill," as it was known, still stands at the corner of Pleasant Street and Church Place just off Grandville Avenue south of Wealthy Street.
Today, Fifth is a multi-generational congregation with many different backgrounds. We are lead by pastor Jon Sherrill along with our consistory and staff. Fifth is a church family who is focused on a common mission of making disciples who make disciples. This is a mission that we take from Christ's great commission found in Matthew 28. We strive to make disciples through corporate worship and community groups who build one another up and serve our community together. We have partnered with the Luminex collaborative to plant churches locally and globally. We welcome you to this mission and to our community.